How Important Is the Statement of Purpose for Masters Program Applications?
A good statement of purpose for masters sample will show you the level of writing that is expected from you. This is your opportunity to show the admissions officer just how well-suited you are to their program using your own unique words. Written well it can be the deciding factor in your being accepted for the place that you have applied to. Written poorly it can have the opposite effect even if you have high grades and good qualifications.
Our SoP writing consultants have been providing support to students and graduates for several years through our professional online services. They are able to provide support with writing anything from your statement of purpose internship through to your master’s application. Our experts are fully qualified in the areas in which they provide their support ensuring that the help and advice that they offer is perfectly tailored to the programme that you are making an application to.
Getting a place in graduate school is not easy and will require you to compete against many others to get a place. The Duke graduate school admitted just 18% of those that applied in the last year and many other colleges and universities have similar figures. So your chances of being enrolled are pretty slim unless you can make your application one of the best that they will receive.
How to Use a Statement of Purpose for Masters Sample
A good sample masters program statement of purpose for degree applications will show you just how other applicants have tackled their application. It will provide you with guidance as to how you can present extra-curricular activities effectively and the style of writing that you should adopt. Examples show you the correct format and structure for your writing and also the different areas that you should be covering.
Your personal SoP for masters application needs to be totally unique to you. You must present yourself in a unique manner without any copying if you are going to be successful with your application.
As the following from Ivywise says:
What Documents Are Required with Your Application for a Masters Degree
Always check with the specific schools and universities that you are applying to as to their specific requirements and deadlines. Many have supplementary information that they may require and you will need to ensure that you provide everything that they are looking for to a high standard. Typically you will be required to provide all of the following:
- Testing such as MCAT
- English proficiency tests
- Letters of recommendation
- Masters statement of purpose
How to Write Statement of Purpose for Masters
Writing a statement of purpose for masters degree application requires you to have a full understanding of what the program will be looking for. You must carefully review the website for your application as well as any other documentation that you may have been provided to clearly identify what they want from successful applicants. You must then ensure that your personal statement covers all of these points if you are going to show the committee that you have all of the skills and experience that they are looking for.
The uniqueness of your writing is very important as this quote from the Central European University demonstrates:
How you write however is going to have a huge impact on how well received your statement will be. To impress the committee you will need to write a SoP for masters application that is capable of getting their full attention. To do this you should follow the advice detailed below:
- Select an anecdote that you can use to create a theme for your statement and that will provide you with a storyline for your writing: You want to tell a story if your statement is to be memorable rather than writing it more like a resume. Do not, however, select something that is irrelevant or too far in the distant past.
- Take time working on your hook: Your opening line’s function is to get the attention of the reader and to get them intrigued so that they want to read more. The better that you achieve this the more likely you are to be noticed for your writing. The following are some actual opening lines used by students making their applications:
- “I change my name each time I place an order at Starbucks.”
- “I was paralyzed from the waist down. I would try to move my leg or even shift an ankle but I never got a response. “
- “Sitting cross-legged on the floor of a Bhimanagar slum dwelling in Bangalore, I ran my fingers across a fresh cut on my forehead.”
- Use language within your writing that is not going to confuse the reader: Never use slang or any form of text speak. Also, don’t try to be clever using words plucked from your thesaurus that is so obscure that no one will know them.
- Do not use any unsubstantiated claims within your writing: Don’t tell, show them your skills and achievements with clear and concise examples. If possible use numbers to fully quantify the effectiveness of what you have done.
- Write about you at all times, this is a personal statement about you: The committee wants to get to know who you are so you should not be writing about others for any reason even if someone has been a major influence on your life.
- Use your own words: Don’t use quotations and certainly never copy anything. Use only your own words so that they can discover your personal thoughts.
- Be honest throughout your essay: While it may be tempting to embellish the truth to make yourself more interesting you can get caught out. Especially if you are asked to attend an interview and they base their questions around your personal statement which they often will.
We Can Help with Writing Your Masters SoP
We offer a highly professional writing service that is provided only by subject qualified experts that know the application process and requirements inside out. They have excellent native level English language skills and know precisely how to write in an effective manner to make your statement stand out from the many others that the committee will be reading.
Our experts work directly with you allowing them to create highly personal essays that will reflect the specific expectations of the program that you are applying to. All writing is done from scratch and a plagiarism report is generated to show that your statement is original. We also provide you with free proofreading on your writing.