How Important Is the Statement of Purpose for PhD
At this level, you are going to be competing against others that have impressive grades and qualifications. So often your PhD statement of purpose is going to be your only method of differentiating yourself from the other applicants. But writing a SoP that is going to really make you memorable and to stand out is not going to be a simple task to achieve.
Our SoP writing services have been supporting students at the doctoral level for several years across many different subject areas. Through our expert support and advice, you will be able to submit a statement of purpose for PhD application that will help win you a place.
Getting to study for a PhD is a competitive process and you will have to make yourself stand out from the others that are applying. For instance, Boston College Physics Department accepted just 8% of those applying. So getting accepted will mean ensuring that your application will fully meet the expectations of the program that you are applying to.
How to Apply for a PhD Place
Your application will always need to fully meet the requirements of the university that you are applying to. Always carefully check their specific admission requirements and follow them to the letter without missing any of the deadlines that they provide. While each will have unique requirements they will typically require all of the following documents with your application:
- Standardized test results
- Transcripts from previous colleges studies at
- English proficiency exams for overseas applicants
- Letters of Recommendation
- Your PhD Statement of Purpose
How to Write an Effective SoP for PhD
Crafting a SoP that is going to convince the selection committee to select you is not simple. They are looking not only for excellent qualifications and skills, you have to be able to communicate them through your SoP effectively so that you stand out. Being able to convince readers of your value for graduate studies will take a huge amount of effort on your part.
It is often best to start by looking at the PhD statement of purpose samples to get an idea as to how others have approached the task. Remember however that a statement of purpose for masters sample in a different discipline to your own will not always be reflective of what you need to demonstrate through your own writing. Nor should any samples ever be copied; your SoP must be unique to you and able to show you personally in the best light.
The following from Vince Gotera writing for the University of Northern Iowa should be kept in mind when you are writing your SoP:
The following tips for how to write a statement of purpose for PhD application will help you to organize your thoughts and submit something that will get you noticed:
- Select the right statement of purpose format for PhD application: Ensure that you fully understand all of their requirements, especially with regards to word count.
- If there is a prompt for your writing ensure that you will always answer it: Many students lose track of the prompt while trying to provide all of the information that they know the committee will value.
- Work on your opening line: This is your hook and really must be able to make the reader want to find out more about what you have to say. The following are some examples from Stanford admission essays:
- “I had never seen anyone get so excited about mitochondria”
- “The spaghetti burbled and slushed around the pan, and as I stirred it, the noises it gave off began to sound increasingly like bodily functions.”
- “I have old hands.”
- Tell a story with your writing: If you want to maintain the attention of the reader you need to draw them into your statement by telling an engaging story about yourself, don’t simply list your achievements; that is for your resume.
- Use language that all will be able to understand but appropriate to your application: Do not try to be clever by selecting obscure words from your thesaurus, not only may they not understand them you may use them incorrectly. Also, avoid slang and text speak as well acronyms.
- Don’t simply make unsubstantiated claims: If you are a great teacher you need to give a clear example of your teaching ability and what you achieved. Where possible use figures to quantify what you have achieved.
- Use words that communicate action and avoid passive words: Use words such as:
- Write about you: While this may sound obvious many will write about others when the committee is really only wanting to learn about you.
- Review the documentation of the program that you are applying to: Learn as much as you can about what they are looking for. Tailor your statement carefully so that you are sure it meets all of their specific expectations.
- Never copy anything within your statement: They want to hear your own words and will not even want to see a quotation.
- Be honest: Never lie or exaggerate. They will almost certainly interview and want to discuss parts of your personal statement.
- Proofread what you have written: Submitting a SoP that has any mistakes even if they are minor is almost certainly going to cause your application to be rejected.
We Can Help with Your PhD Statement of Purpose
We are a professional writing and editing service that is able to pair you with an expert in your area of application. Not only will you be working with a highly accomplished writer they will be fully versed with what the program that you are applying to wants to see. They work directly with you to help you to tailor your SoP to show the committee perfectly that you are the best match.
All of the support that we provide will be delivered within your time requirements. It will have been proofread to a high standard and will be provided with a plagiarism report so that you can be sure it is copying free. Not only that; all of our help comes with a full money back guarantee so that you can order from us with confidence.