How Important Is Writing a SoP for Graduate School?
At this stage in your education, you will be competing against many well qualified and accomplished students. This means that often a well-written SoP is your only way to make yourself stand out. But writing a SoP for graduate school that is going to be capable of getting you noticed is not a task that you are going to do well on a wet Sunday afternoon. It is going to take a huge amount of work and also homework on your part.
We have been supporting students for many years and can provide help writing an excellent PhD statement of purpose through our highly skilled and proven experts. We have built up our team to include staff that has helped applicants in all fields successfully. This means that we are able to offer you help and advice that you can trust to support you with your application.
Across all of the Postgraduate programs at Northwestern University, only 15% of applicants are granted a place. This is not an unusual figure by any means and will be repeated across almost all universities and subjects. No matter where you apply or what field you wish to research you are going to have to out-compete many others to win your place.
Writing a statement of purpose for grad school is a vital part of that admission. As UC San Diego reminds you that the statement of purpose is an important part of the online application and is given careful consideration in the selection process.
What Should You Include When Writing a Statement of Purpose for Grad School?
Gaining an advanced degree is a dream for many academics and getting onto their chosen programs is not going to be easy. You will need to show clearly that you are a good match to the program that you are applying to and that you will be able to conduct research to the standard that they expect. This means providing them with information that will show that you are precisely what they are looking for.
To achieve this you should cover at a minimum the following basic questions that they will have about you within your SoP writing:
- Why are you studying within this field? How did you become interested and why?
- Where do you expect to go with your career once you have completed your PhD?
- What are your specific research interests?
- What research have you already conducted and what did you find?
- What makes you specifically suited to conduct research in this field?
- Why are you applying to this specific institution to do your PhD?
How to Write an Effective Statement of Purpose
What you write is very important, but how you write it will have a huge impact on how well received it will be by the admissions panel. If you look at any statement of purpose for grad school example that you will find online you will see that they are all very different. Each tells a story about the writer and makes them stand out as an individual.
Looking at a good sample SoP for graduate school is a good way to learn to appreciate what is really expected from you. They can show you just how others have approached the task and the style of writing that has been used effectively. Do not however simply copy any sample SoP for grad school, after all your statement must be written about you and tailored to your application. Anything else will never have any chance of success.
The following advice from Michael Rappaport from the UCLA School of Law should be considered:
The following are some helpful tips and advice that will support you with writing an attention-grabbing and effective statement for your application:
- Take time with your opening: This is your hook and needs to get the attention of the committee and make them want to read more. Avoid clichés at all costs. The following are some examples of cliché openings reported by UCAS:
- From a young age I have (always) been [interested in/fascinated by]… (used 1,779 times)
- For as long as I can remember I have… (used 1,451 times)
- I am applying for this course because… (used 1,370 times)
- I have always been interested in… (used 927 times)
- Don’t use statements that are meaningless within your writing: Always substantiate what you have to say and make it precise if possible quantify it with real numbers. The following are a couple of examples of what not to say:
- My achievements are vast
- I am a highly motivated person
- I am very capable
- Tell a story: You want them to remember you and you will not achieve this through a list of facts or accomplishments that are better suited to your resume. Use a real story about yourself to get their interest and tell them what they need to know about you.
- Always write about yourself and in your own words: The committee does not want to read any quotes or to hear what other people have said or done. The purpose of your statement is for them to learn about you and what makes you tick as a person and a researcher.
- Be honest: Everyone gets tempted to bend the truth a little so that they can make their statement seem a little more interesting or to better match what they are looking for. But what happens when they ask you in-depth questions about what you wrote when they invite you for an interview?
We Can Help with Writing Your Grad School Statement of Purpose
We are professional services that have helped grad school applicants from all around the globe with their applications successfully. We have a large team of experts that cover many different fields of study allowing us to be able to match you with someone that is going to really help you with your submission. Our experts fully understand the application process as well as what the different programs are looking for.
Each of our experts has native level writing skills and are excellent communicators. They work directly with you to ensure that your statement is perfectly crafted to reflect what the program expects. All writing that is performed is unique to you and will be supplied with a plagiarism report. We also provide free formatting and proofreading to ensure that your statement of purpose will be perfect when we send it to you on time.